We named him Aristotle and although I've always loved cats, he was somehow more special to me. We would joke about how he was like a dog trapped in a cat's body. He could not get enough love and would practically tackle you to be petted. Hubby is not necessarily a cat lover. He would say he likes them, he just can't eat one all by himself. But he did love Aristotle.
He has always been in our home and the kids have always known him to be around. They have always adored him as have the neighborhood kids. It was not uncommon to see a child sitting in our front grass with Aristotle lavishing love on him/her. People would stop in our yard and comment on what a beautiful cat he was.
But today we had to say goodbye. We're not sure what was wrong, just that he was going quickly. We hovered around him and had the kids say goodbye while we all cried and loved on him. I knew he was getting old, about 12 1/2 but I guess I just thought he would be around longer. This is the only digital picture I have of him. All the others were taken long ago when we still used film. I was trying to take some pictures of Daymon and Aristotle kept wanting to love on him and wouldn't leave us alone. Funny how things that used to annoy us would make us so happy now.

Tonight when I opened my front door I still expected to see him waiting for me. It's hard to let go. I hope our kids learn about love and loss and appreciating the many ways God reveals His presence. Through a song, a sunset or a kitty who could never contain his joy at having you around.
1 comment:
Oh no. I am so sorry! I loved that cat too, and I'm not a cat person.
I remember staying with you guys when Mike and I were just dating, he would sleep with me on the couch at night. I remember he was so so soft and so snuggly!
Post a Comment