In waltzed another year. Just like that.
If it weren't for hubby I would have spent it curled up on the couch in jammies, my fingers firmly wrapped around a mug of peppermint coffee with my daughter by my side deciding which musical to watch on netflix.
Instead we bundled up and went to a block party downtown Tempe by ASU and had a blast listening to live music, watching fireworks and pretending it was midnight at nine because I had to work the next day.
It's times like that, in the middle of hugging my kids as we usher in the new year while toasting with teeny cups of apple cider that I'm so thankful that I have a husband who stretches me to go do more. Or quite literally in his words "Go put pants on, I'm not staying here tonight."
And I'm not usually a "resolutioner". I mean why wait until the new year to make a resolution. Just do it when the fancy strikes. But I've been thinking about it lately. Maybe because everyone has been asking me what mine are and that has put the cogs to spinning. So, in the spirit of, well, shutting people up and also wanting to see it written down, here are my resolutions:
1. Play with my kids more. Like actual games. That involve using my brain and also my hands. Learn how to play the video games the boys love so when they rant about them I will have some idea what they are talking about.
2. Not fight with my daughter when I do her hair.
3. Cook more meals that involve spatulas and more than four ingredients. And also stop telling my family when I substitute ground turkey for other meats. It somehow ruins the magic.
4. Take more walks with hubby that involve less spatulas. Wait. More walks that involve less time talking about money and more time just listening to each other's hearts.
5. Let Aliya listen to her music as loud as she wants to on the way to school even though I really want to have meaningful heart to heart chats. At least a couple days a week. I have to start off slow.
6. While on the subject of music, I will try exceptionally hard not to cringe with my whole body when hubby plays Red Hot Chili Peppers and I will attempt to make my smiles seem genuine. Even though it takes every ounce of energy not to bang my head through a pane glass window and stab the shards of glass through my ears to make the sound stop. But hey, that might just be me.
7. Music continued, I will find some really great music this year. That you don't hear on the radio.
8. I will attempt to be Jesus with skin on. And I will fail so please remember to have grace.
9. I want to hang out with my sister way more. And take that trip with my best friend.
10. I'm not going to do a number 10. Because I feel like that might bother some people and sometimes we just have to get under people's skin. As a matter of principle.
PS
If you are a Red Hot Chili Pepper fan and I have offended you...good. Take this as your wake up call. Get a new band. They suck. A lot. Respect yourself more than that.
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment