Thursday, September 16, 2010

breathing is so over rated

My Daymon has asthma and allergies to like, oh, everything under the sun.  But not the sun, he's not that weird.  I guess I shouldn't be so dramatic, I know some mom out there is just dying to one up me with her kid that really is allergic to everything and the sun.   

We take regular trips to the allergist and although she's super wonderful, I would rather not see her too often if we don't have to.  Usually when we go it's just me and Daymon but the other day I had to drag along the other two as well.  The place is a pediatric allergy office.  It's supposed to mean that they see kids on a regular basis therefore don't mind when kids are acting like. . .kids.  I don't think they got the memo though and werent' too fond of Dylan's repeated remarks of "I'm lab-tose intolerant" and Aliya's million questions.  The whole lab-tose thing had me in hysterics and I kept warning him that if he kept making me and Daymon laugh he would have to sit in the lobby.  Somehow a threat doesn't come off the way it should when you're laughing so hard you can't breathe.  He wasn't phased. 

One of the things they make him do is a video game type test where he has to breath out really hard into a tube and leafs fall off a tree reveling cats hanging upside down.  If Dylan was making jokes before, that test really had him going.  The nurse was not amused.

And, of course, there is nothing like taking your kid to the doctor to really make you feel like an awesome mom. 

Doc: when did he last take his puffer?
Me: um, yeah, we ran out and insurance won't authorize that brand so. . .
Doc: no problem, we'll switch it.  What about the nose spray?
Me: well, we've been busy and I've been kind of forgetting about that, but we have plenty, so I'll get right on it.  Tonight.  Or when we get home.  Or now.
Doc: {evil eye}  okaaaay, so what about the zyrtec and the singulair?
Me: well, we were doing everyday, but then, you know, we ran out and I need to go to the store and I figured while I was getting necessities like toilet paper, I would pop over and grab some, but I'm totally on it.  I like him to breathe.  It's my favorite. 

She wants to see him again in three months.  Or sooner if he displays any problems.  But I'm clearly in charge of the situation.  Next time no laughing.  Somehow it does not inspire confidence.

1 comment:

{love, mj.} said...

i miss you! come visit! please!!!