Thursday, July 29, 2010

you pick

So, would you rather have two parakeets, a baby vulture and a humming bird, OR a parrot, a toucan and a dove? 

These are the questions I get asked approximately every five minutes from my Dylan.  He's become obsessed with birds.  And I do not use that word lightly.  When we visited the zoo on vacation he came to me and said, "can we please go see the birds.  Every time people come to the zoo, they skip the birds".  As I'm thinking, really?  Birds?  But okay.  So he got to feed them and was in heaven.  He's told me around 900 hundred times that the only thing he wants for Christmas is a bird and that we don't have to get him anything else.  He's even been doing his own research online at different pet stores and Craigslist.  This kid is not messing around.  At the library this week he checked out six books ranging from predator birds to owls. He can name them, spot them, list tons of facts and distinguish between species.  Wow.  I have to confess birds are pretty much never on my radar. Unless I hit one while driving or get pooped on. 
Apparently he's been transformed since this post.  I'm not sure what happened but hey, I do like a live bird better than a dead one. I'm pretty sure the neighbors do too.


1 comment:

Mike R. said...

We have a cockatiel. A very quiet bird at night. Spotted Owls: one I have had the pleasure of helping capture in the wild in order to put bands on them, even held a few during the process in the past. We (as in work) spend April - August every year monitoring and searching for Spotted Owls. Now I just oversee the program. Lots of night work for the guys working in the woods.