In our house, Hubby and I have to see most movies first before we allow our kids to watch it. Movies that are supposed to be geared towards children are crammed full of cursing, innuendos, violence and scary creatures that can give my kids nightmares for weeks. And since the directors, writers and producers are not volunteering to come over to my house to walk with my child outside to the trash can because they're too scared to go alone, Hubby and I must pre-approve said movie.
Moving right along.
So we had both watched Avatar and deemed it okay for the kids. Although we did have a chat first about loin cloths and worshiping a false God and they did have to close their eyes in a few parts with some freaky alien dog/cat, but other than that it's pretty good. In fact the previewes before hand were way worse.
But those things I could live with. No, the two things that bothered the living daylights out of me are as follows:
a) Unobtainium. The precious metal that the earthlings were battling the avatar's for. Un-obtain-ium. Okay is it just me or did they let a six year old name this? Really? Someone got paid for coming up with this word? Why not "sure-wish-we-could-have-some-too-atanium" or "Hard-to-get-to-atanium". Lame.
b) Papyrus. The font they chose for the subtitles when the avatar's are speaking. James Cameron spent $500 million dollars on this movie and the best font he could come up with is papyrus? If I can find papyrus in my drop down box of fonts on my computer it is not cool enough. For $500 million, they should have come up with a font so amazing, so cool, so unbelievably awesome that it has it's own copyright and gives people pure joy tingles just to look at it. Double lame.
Hubby thinks I'm insane. Which is not a new development. His words were something like "there were ground breaking special effects and all you have to say is that the metal has a stupid name and the font is bad? We were we watching the same movie?"
I guess it's all about expectations. If the budget had been $300 dollars, well then, hey, great work. But. . .
So if you have not seen it yet, you now have me to thank when all you can see is stupid font and a metal with a lame name. You're welcome.
1 week ago
1 comment:
That's too funny! It is a pretty stupid name, though. There had to be scads of people working on this thing...had that not crossed anyone single one of their minds? Everyone that has seen it says it's really good, so I suppose we'll have to see it too.
And yes, I'll be thinking about the lame metal name and the font thing too. :)
Post a Comment