I know that I'm probably beating a dead horse here but sometimes those horses need to be kicked. Repeatedly. So my high horse is about to become the one I'm going to beat. Hmm.
I just want to cry for everyone who walks into a movie without reading the book. You are missing so much. You are missing details and character flaws and insight into memories and feelings and fears. You are missing out on the why.
A movie can't show you into the heart of someone, the reason they feel alone or the thousand reasons they would die for those they love and what brought them to that point. A movie can't let you peek into childhood memories or hopes for the future. Or why people laughed when a cat hissed.
Hubby: People seem entirely too entertained by that.
Me: Well, in the book, the cat, you see, oh never mind...
And not just this movie, all books that have been made into movies should be read first, because reading is awesome and oh yeah, reading is awesome.
And still no matter how many times I have stated this fact I could not get hubby to read The Hunger Games.
He's above such things. He would rather read for betterment of his character. Sheesh. Fine. Well, okay then, so I could probably hide really well after reading this series and I would never eat wild berries which could very well save my life so top that hubby, top that.
I was able to get my older two to read them and that is awesome because it's really taxing to get Aliya to read anything. Plus we have a lot of fun talking about the books together and discussing the reasons why she's upset about the choice to cast Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. I don't see the problem, I thought he did a fantastic job, but she has always hated his acting and was very put out about it.
I just want to cry for everyone who walks into a movie without reading the book. You are missing so much. You are missing details and character flaws and insight into memories and feelings and fears. You are missing out on the why.
A movie can't show you into the heart of someone, the reason they feel alone or the thousand reasons they would die for those they love and what brought them to that point. A movie can't let you peek into childhood memories or hopes for the future. Or why people laughed when a cat hissed.
Hubby: People seem entirely too entertained by that.
Me: Well, in the book, the cat, you see, oh never mind...
And not just this movie, all books that have been made into movies should be read first, because reading is awesome and oh yeah, reading is awesome.
And still no matter how many times I have stated this fact I could not get hubby to read The Hunger Games.
He's above such things. He would rather read for betterment of his character. Sheesh. Fine. Well, okay then, so I could probably hide really well after reading this series and I would never eat wild berries which could very well save my life so top that hubby, top that.
I was able to get my older two to read them and that is awesome because it's really taxing to get Aliya to read anything. Plus we have a lot of fun talking about the books together and discussing the reasons why she's upset about the choice to cast Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. I don't see the problem, I thought he did a fantastic job, but she has always hated his acting and was very put out about it.
![]() |
| Aliya, are we looking at the same actor?? |
And I won't even get into how many times I said the phrase "But in the book..." or "Well they changed that..." or "Well I guess on here it looks stupid but in the book..." last night when I watched the fourth Twilight with hubby. It was absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately they changed so much in those movies that I don't even think they are the same. At all. And now I feel you silently judging me for admitting that I have read them and watched the movies. I hope I'm not destroying my credibility here.
I feel the sudden need to inform you that I own the entire works of Shakespeare and have read almost all of them. Whew!
That was close.

2 comments:
Okay, I only read this post up to where you say that Jason still hasn't read the Hunger Games, because I just started it last night and I'm so afraid of reading something in this post that I don't know about yet in the book. :)
I swear I'll come back and read the rest when I'm done with the book, which I'm hoping is by tonight. :)
Done. Loved it! And now Mike and Laney are both reading it, and I'm so excited to discuss it with them and I can't wait to see the movie! =)
Post a Comment