Reason #782 why I will never be allowed to write a parenting book.
Allow me to set the stage for you.
It's a Wednesday night, I'm in the middle of making dinner, the kids and I are all convened in the kitchen, the boys with homework in front of them. I have already been arguing with Dylan about how little he has been doing so far and Daymon is in the middle of a full on melt-down. As in crying, yelling, pencil throwing melt-down. Why you ask? Because Aliya and I are trying to get him to understand how his homework works and why we have come up with the right answer and he has come up with the wrong answer.
So in order to really get my point across to him I decided it would somehow make me look even less like a total jerk to say "You know, I am 26 years older than you so I do know a whole lot more." Purely classic move.
Then, to up the ante to the highest level, I told him that if I was indeed wrong, {laugh} that I would owe him a dollar.
Let's just say the look on his face as I handed him that dollar bill the next day was a little smug.
But he earned it.
Pride doesn't go down in one big swallow, you have to chew for a while. But somehow I don't think he'll remember the dollar. I think he'll remember the "I'm sorry".
But seriously guys, when did fourth grade homework became so hard? Because now I'm beginning to question my IQ...
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment