It must be pretty amazing for her to be this excited. As I rounded the corner I saw it. The thing was enormous. "Mom! It's an actual pay phone! I've never seen one in real life before!"
Her list was getting better by the mile. First an actual tumbleweed, then a lillypad, now a pay phone? Could this road trip get any better? When her Uncle Matt would later produce a real life handkerchief it would prove to be the best, most productive family vacation of Aliya's young life. She had only heard of these things but never actually seen them with her own eyes.
Her brothers, while impressed, were less enthused. After all, we have mini computers in our pockets.
I thought I was being sweet by regaling the check out clerk with the funny story of how my kids were amazed at seeing a pay phone for the first time. It never occurred to me that it might come across as condescending until hubby pointed it out.
Hubby: Somehow I don't think the small town people like it pointed out to them from the city people that they are in fact....small town.
Me: What? What do you mean?
Hubby: The pay phone. It's not there for our amusement. They actually use it.
Me: But...well....I just...it never occurred to me that I might hurt her feelings....
Hubby: {using his best hill billy voice} whoohy I tell you what! This dang here computation device is too complicated fer me! {holding his cell phone} Does it communicate directly with the satellites??
Lesson learned hubby, lesson learned.
No comments:
Post a Comment