Thursday, October 6, 2011

Travel tips. Take as you will

Interesting facts about traveling internationally.

Fact number one: If you state "I have intestines of steel.  I don't get diarrhea on trips, I'll try it all!"  You will end up deeply regretting the mango juice from the random guy selling it on the street out of a possibly clean glass but probably not.  Although I will say that juice was amazing and kinda worth it. 

Fact two: Having the above mentioned problem while only having "squatty potties" available sure does make for an interesting experience.  And using way too much hand sanitizer. 

It's useless to get upset about people not understanding that you just want an eggplant sandwich when you are a visitor in their country at their restaurant and you didn't bother to look up how to say eggplant in Arabic.  Just take what they give you, it will still be good. 

Don't judge the elevator and it's cardboard floor that may or may not work unless you hold the door and jump to get it started.  It's way better than three flights of stairs.  And, incidentally, it's kind of fun when you can stick your arm out as every floor passes, just don't forget to pull it back in. 

Remember that cats there are a little different than cats here and if it looks like it has 47 diseases, it probably does. 

Don't be too upset when your husband won't let you go get a closer look at the very loud and chaotic demonstration that just erupted.  Safety shmafety.  It looked amazing and I've never seen one in person! 

If you dress modestly, it will challenge their perspective on American women and they will respect you more.  Yes it's hot but get over it.

Do pray before crossing the street as it is a game of frogger and you could possibly die.  Pedestrians do not have the right of way.  But they do pause for children so always cross next to a woman holding a baby. 

Never underestimate the power of a smile.  And don't be afraid to laugh at yourself.

If that purse at $10.00 sounds too good to be true, it is.  It will most likely fall apart in a week. 

Don't believe them when they say in a shocked tone "You're not Egyptian?  But you look Egyptian!"  They want you to ride their camel. 

Eat what is set before you in someones home and never complain.  They do hospitality a million times better than we do. 

Don't get too hung up on how we do life.  Just because they do it differently does not mean they do it wrong.  Women subway cars and men subway cars are seperate for a reason and it's okay. 

Be prepared to fall in love with the people. 

And last but not least, do not ever drink from the public water jars.  Unlike the mango juice, it's so not worth it.

1 comment:

Forever For Evie said...

Glad you made it home safe! I loved the pics Jason posted on FB!! When's the next trip planned for and who's going?!? :)

Sidenote: Thank you for the the text back last night. Unfortunately, before I read what you sent back, I had already purchased a cool mist after standing in the aisle at walmart, googling cool mist/warm mist humidifiers with my phone. Do I need to exchange it?