I think being told you have to volunteer is sort of ironic.
So how many hours do we have done so far? A whole whopping two.
Whew.
There are only 7 weeks left of school, I wouldn't want to make the other parents feel bad by being some sort of crazy over achiever, so I'm pacing myself.
I went into yesterday planning on doing like five, I mean why not, only I crapped out at two because a) it was insanely quiet and when left alone with my own thoughts I go a little crazy, and b) I couldn't stand the evil eye I was getting from the other moms who actually are over achievers and were finishing their hours that day. Guess I shouldn't have broadcast that it was my first time, but I just tend to put it all out there, it's a character flaw.
We actually don't know if Aliya will attend the same school next year, so I was all "sweet, no volunteer hours to put in!" and Hubby was all "no, we said we would, it's important to follow through and do what we say we will". There he goes being all responsible again.
Well fine then. But I don't have to like it. Don't get me wrong, cutting out five thousand laminated fat guys was tons of fun and now I know what a prepositional phrase ending in an adverb is thanks to correcting eighth grade grammar test, but I could have been doing other stuff. Like, trying to figure out what that smell is in the back of the fridge.
And it just doesn't feel the same when you mention you volunteered at the school today when you know that it wasn't out of the kindness of your heart, but in reality from a giant black cloud hanging over your head.
Except now the cloud is two hours smaller.
But I'm learning a valuable lesson about word choices.
"Here sweetie, I need you to volunteer to take this trash out. Now. Or you won't be allowed in our family."
This could actually work out in my favor. I have all kinds of things Hubby and kids could volunteer for.
I think I'll make the mandatory sign up sheet pink.
2 comments:
What's up with the picture? It doesn't really fit the blog post? Are you mad at the person taking the picture? Are you frustrated about volunteering? Can't tell what that's all about. But I do love your writing! Jabo
lol!! If the whole thing about the trash & house work shows a positive let me know I'll try it.haha
Post a Comment