Sunday, March 4, 2012

Breaker, breaker

When my dad recently retired, my parents moved to another state and aside from growing out his hair and thinking about getting an earring, he also wanted to get a "no stress" job for a bit "just to pay off a few things". 

Now the first question here is:  egg or chicken?  Did I get my wild side from him or is he inspired by me and after the earring a very large dragon tattoo is in his future?  I like to think that he gets it from me.  Although you may change your mind after reading the whole post. 

So when my mom said he was going to get a job for a like a year my first thought was. . .security guard at Wal-Mart.  Small town.  It fits. 

No.

My father became a trucker.  Yes, you read that correctly. 

At first I couldn't really put him in the same category as a trucker.  I apologize if you are in fact a person who drives an oversize vehicle for a living.  I mean no disrespect.  At least I don't now.  At first however my view of this particular profession was not necessarily held in the highest of regard. 

I viewed truckers as scary, bearded crazy people who kill hitch hikers and keep them in the tiny little closet in the back where they sleep.  And also deliver my cute tank tops to Target each week. 

But I have since then been schooled that no, they in fact do not do these kinds of things and my parents are having a blast seeing the country and spending tons of time together. 

And they were able to randomly come through AZ to pick up a load {check out my lingo!} and we were able to see them for a whole 24 hours!  It was a super fun surprise and the boys got to spend the night with my dad in the truck.  At the truck stop.  Where they did not die. 

Dylan did break the one rule my dad set which he swears he didn't hear him ever say.  He honked the horn.  Repeatedly.  Luckily my dad was really cool about it because he has turned into a giant teddy bear of a man. 

And there was no dead body in the little closet.  I checked. 

No comments: